What we wish other gardeners would/would not do:
- No mulch volcanos around newly planted trees. The mulch piled high against the tree trunk is an invitation for disease and affects good root growth.
- Don’t braid daffodil leaves or tie into little bundles – leave the leaves alone until they turn brown and wither. The leaves are helping feed the bulbs for next years flowers and tying the leaves off will affect future flowering.
- But do deadhead the spent flowers from your bulbs. Plant energy should be put into growing the bulb, not producing seeds.
- Weed any invasives growing in your yard (and in your neighbors yard). Enough said.
- Grow more natives – the plants that thrive in your climate are the right ones to plant – and less lawn.
- Plant more trees.
So what are your resolutions for other gardeners?